Ancient Egypt palaces first appeared in the Early Dynastic Period along with other monumental buildings. The need for a palace arose from the fact that kings, their families and entourages needed to live separately from their subjects. In ancient Egypt, this was accomplished with several structures built around courtyards, including separate living quarters for men and women, kitchens, workshops and storage areas.The wall of the palace was called serekh. The glyph serekh was one of the devices in which the king's name was written. Another device is the most familiar cartridge.
The sides and the "frame" of the serekh probably represent walls as seen in a plane, while the symbol represented all the walls of the royal palace or the city where the king lived as the incarnation of Horus. Royal palaces housed outside the main family of Pharaoh, his secondary wives, concubines and their offspring, as a small army of minions. The compound everything was closed and separated from the rest of the city, but close to the service providers, temples and the seat of the administration. The period of the New Kingdom some palace buildings remain.
Of the 18th Dynasty, there Malkata Palace, built for Amenhotep III, located south of the mortuary temple on the west bank of Waset (Gr: Thebes, Luxor modern). Then there are two of the five palaces built for Akhenaten at Amarna North Palace and the Grand Palais. Of the 19th Dynasty and the palace of Merenptah in Mennefer (Gr: Memphis) a throne room was excavated by the University of Philadelphia.
And from the 20th dynasty, there are the remains of Medinet Habu, the palace of Rameses III.
The palace in ancient Egypt temples and theaters acted as the power elite and the objects in them as visible signs of power. Egyptian antique furniture palace did not survive, even on the most famous sites such as Amarna and Malqata. Unlike temples which were, at least from the outside, mainly symmetrical Egyptian palaces were sometimes a conglomerate units not hidden behind a facade of unity, even when they were built by a single pharaoh and are not the result of the addition of successive builders on a initial building.
Akhenaton Palace, the residence of the royal family was separated from the main palace, the main avenue, but connected by a bridge. Ay palace, on the other hand - if one believes a mural in a tomb - was strictly symmetrical, and looked as much like a castle like a palace. Temple and the palace of Rameses III is located south of Deir el-Medina and the Valley of the Kings on the west bank of the Nile across from Luxor and Thebes.
To the left, which lies behind the temple of Amun, is the palace and the mortuary temple of Ramses III (1182-1151 excluded), the last great warrior pharaoh of Egypt. Ramses wall contains both the temple / palace and the temple of Amun, so that Ramses is symbolically "united with eternity in the domain of Amon."